So, you know you need a mobile application but do you really know what you want out of it? What is it developed for, and how will you create the app? These are some of the basic questions you should ask yourself before you actually get into the process of mobile application development. The answers to these questions will definitely pave your way to the desired results. Wait a minute! Grab your pen and a piece of paper. After that, note your 10 important questions to ask a Software Development Company before developing a Mobile App.
Questions to ask your Mobile App Development Company:
- How much does it cost to build a mobile app?
- How long does it take to build a mobile app?
- Which is best; Android mobile app or iOS app?
- How will the app development project be managed?
- How often will I need to update my app?
- How should my app be tested?
- How will my app launch on app stores?
- How can I measure my app’s success?
- Can I view your previous successful projects?
- Why should I work with you guys?
How much does it cost to build a mobile app?
The most common question everyone gets in their minds is how much it will cost to build my desired mobile app. The answer is never as simple as a fixed price tag. So, when you are looking to hire a mobile app development company, you have to make sure they mention the following aspects:
- What is the complication level of your mobile app?
The complication of the mobile app is decided by looking at the features like will the users create profiles, communicate with other users, sell products, make payments through the app, and lots more. Depending on these features, the complication of mobile apps is decided.
- Simple Mobile App cost: $50,000
- Data consumption apps costs: $50,00 – $100,000
- Login & Sign Up apps: $100,000 – $300,000
- Social Networking apps: $150,000 – $500,000
- M-commerce Apps: $200,000 – $1,000,000
- Marketplace apps: $200,000 – $1,500,000
- What simple and expensive features do it include?
Here are some of the most expensive features that you will come across when developing a mobile application.
- E-commerce stores; payment gateways
- Social Media Apps
- Databases; storing user data or third-party data
- 24/7 Company Support
- Developers; in-house developers or outsourcing team
- Is it an Android or iOS mobile application?
- Domain hosting, servers, updates, and other technical charges
- Continuous updating improvement plans
- Project payment milestones
Moreover, if you are not willing to contact any software development company for app development cost estimation, there are several tools. You can tell your requirements to cost estimator tools like How Much it Cost to Build an App, which helps you get a rough estimate of app cost by answering the questions mentioned.
How Long Does it Take to Build a Mobile App?
On average, it was observed that it takes three to nine months to build an app. But just like cost is affected by several factors, the same way the timeline of a project is also affected by several factors. However, the most time-consuming stages of the app development process are:
- Documentation of a project brief: one or two weeks
While writing a project brief, it will require a few things like:
- Project Goals and Success Metrics
- RFP (request for proposal)
- NDA ( Non-Disclosure Agreement)
- Approximate Budget Range
- Desired Delivery Date (estimate)
- Researching for your ideas: five to six weeks
- User Stories
- App Prototype
- Developing MVP (Minimum Viable Product)
- Designing mockups and prototyping: six to twelve weeks
- Coding and Development process: six to twelve weeks
- Launching to app stores: minimum two weeks
Before submitting your app to Google Play Store or Apple App Store, make sure you have the following details:
- Contact and Basic Company information
- Screenshots of Unique App Features
- Detailed and Authentic description of your App
- Icones displaying in Store Listings
- Demonstration of App
- Continuous improvement: no time limit
- Ongoing support and maintenance: keeps on going till the life of the app
Which is best; Android mobile app or iOS app?
The decision regarding building your app for Android or iOS, or both, should never be underestimated. For deciding which app platform is best for your mobile app, you need to consider the factors like users, devices, and development. Thus, the company you’ve approached should be able to understand what platform is best for your mobile app.
How long will the app development project be managed?
When a mobile app development project is started, it takes many stages or phases to deliver the end product:
- Researching and writing the project brief
- Designing and developing phase
- Staging and deployment
- Continuous improvement plans
- Support and Maintenance
Moreover, you have also make sure that you’re concerned software development company talks about Agile and Waterfall project management methodologies. An Agile working environment is iterative, and changes can be made with little time and resources. While the waterfall approach is an effective structure to project, everyone in the team is clear on what needs to be done.
How often will I need to update my app?
On average, a successful app with many active users needs to be updated at least up to four times a month. However, there are lots of differences between the updating of applications. When your developers present you with a whole development plan, make sure it includes a rough process of updating and maintaining the app. Furthermore, you have to analyze that it should be strategic in prioritizing unique new features and should consider the feedback from users.
Let’s have a look at what are updating possibilities for mobile apps:
- Bug-Fixing updates
- Implementing New Features
- Continuous Improvement Plans
How should my app be tested?
There are several ways mobile app development companies can test the quality of an app. However, different tests are also carried out in the project’s development process too. So, from wireframe and initial phases to prototypes and high-fidelity designs, testing of apps is an essential part of every stage to achieve required insights and outcomes. Here are few things you should consider that your app developers perform:
- Constantly researching different ways to achieve your goals
- Testing your ideas presented during the initial research phase
- Initial Sketching
- Validating with Users
- Adapting changes based on feedback from design sprints
Design sprints are based on your business, focused on user behavior, commercial strategy, innovation, design, and more. However, the gradual step process can change project length but mainly aims to:
- Define and Scope problems
- Challenge and explore concepts
- Find and test solutions
How will my app launch on app stores?
Whether you will be submitting your app to the Apple App Store or Google Play Store, you need to consider a few things. And these things will be taken into consideration by your app development company. There are few things you need to worry about while launching your app are:
- Name of the App
- Description of the App
- Category App falls into
- Keywords for better ranking
- Screenshots of app features
Regardless, to organize a marketing strategy, these aspects will differ based on the scope of the project and the app being submitted to which app store. Besides these factors, you can invest in ASO – App Store Optimization, which is a marketing strategy to rank your app better on the app store.
How can I measure my app’s success?
Developed your app, launched it on the App store. Now how can you know that your app is proving to be a fruitful investment? Top software development companies will ask you about what is the definition of success from your business perspective. You’ve to explain all that you aim at and what your purpose is in developing the app. Besides this, you also need to make sure you use metrics and KPIs to attain technical objectives. Here are few examples of metrics:
- Engagement Metrics: how users are using your app. How many pages do they view, and how much time do they spend using your app?
- Outcome Metrics: Tracking of user activities.
- Behavioral Metrics: Observing the locations and times of the day people are interacting with your app.
- Retention Metrics: It refers to how many times people come back to your app and what activities they perform in the app.
Can I view your previous successful projects?
When you are looking for a team or a software company that will develop your app, the best way to understand their skills is to view their previous or present clients’ work. You can also check the case studies on their website, which provides you a better understanding of the quality of work they deliver. Moreover, there are few other ways that you can undertake to find out the company’s details.
- US App Awards
- Webby Awards
- Wirehive 100 Awards
- DADI Awards
Why should I work with you guys?
After collecting the answer to all the questions listed above, the final question is to ask, “Why should I work with you guys?” However, if you ask many reputable software companies questions, then the final decision will be more complicated. When you get the answer to this question from the company, then you have to differentiate it from others by comparing the response you have got.
Get in touch with Clustox – who listens to you and fulfills your dreams!
So, there are some primary questions you should ask your mobile app development company and evaluate whether they can provide you with the best solution or not. However, you will be pretty clear with the answers you get are right or wrong. However, you have to keep the answers to these questions as a data record that will help you to compare companies and find the best one. At Clustox, we become your business partner rather than just being a service provider. Our behavior with our clients is reflected in your perfect rating on Clutch. We have got an agile team with a basket filled with certifications to build software that provides flexibility and transparency to the tech world. So, think of your own mobile app, take your notebook and pen and talk to us today to get answers to all your questions.