Our current generation is going mobile with regular updates in technology. One of the significant revivals of technology is utility applications, more specifically the online food delivery services. Food delivery apps like Zomato, Food Panda, and UberEats have been catering to the cravings of millions of food lovers. Food lovers are no more restricted to restaurant options, day or midnight timings, or food varieties. Consequently, making “Food Delivery Apps” one of the fastest-growing industries globally. Despite the pandemic, food delivery apps were able to gross $122.74 billion in revenue in 2020 and are expected to generate income of more than $156 billion by 2024. Clever and genius entrepreneurs of the time have an obvious way to anchor at their own Food Delivery App Development to grow their business. Looking into all these great demands of food delivery app development or partnership with some top ones is the best chance to stay afloat. However, while developing a food delivery app like UberEats or Zomato, you often get to face a lot of challenges like how to find courier service providers, how to partner with restaurants, etc. Here you’ll get to explore solutions to all these challenges and stop at the most profitable food delivery app solution.
How to Develop a Food Delivery App?
It is necessary to have an outline before starting to work on your food delivery app development plan. It would be best to ponder certain aspects before technically developing the app, like UberEats, FoodPanda, or Zomato. So, the outline you need to study for the food app development project.
- Why should you start a food delivery app project?
- How many types of food ordering mobile apps are there, and what are they?
- How to develop an on-demand food ordering & delivery app?
- Best food delivery app features
- Food Delivery App Requirements of Tech Stack
- How much does it cost to create a food delivery app?
Why Should You Start a Food Delivery App Project?
With dozens of incredibly successful food delivery apps, it seems to have a saturated market around. Nevertheless, there is enough space for a new revival to jump with something unique and the latest feature to make its name in some of the tops ranked. To fuel your spirit and idea to develop a food delivery app like UberEats or Zomato, here are some statistics.
- Nearly 60% of the food consumers order through the delivery app and takeout only once a week in the US.
- 23% of the people predict that they will only order for pickup or delivery in the future during the pandemic, rather than dining on-premises.
- According to some research reports, it is predicted that there will be a 3.3% increase in demand for online food delivery in 2022.
- Only about 3 in 10 restaurants will enjoy dine-in offers over online delivery services. Even after the pandemic majority of users will prefer online food delivery over premises.
- The number of online orders increased on third-party delivery food apps during a pandemic. This develops a great trust of users in the reliable delivery of online services.
Some top-performing food delivery apps are UberEats that generated a revenue of $219 billion in 2020; Instacart’s gross revenue of $3000 million in 2019; and Postmates generated an income of $1.2 billion in 2020.
|Top Food Delivery Apps||Availability (No. of Cities Worldwide)||No. of Restaurant Onboard||Commission Charged On Each Order (%age)||Number of Monthly Users||Revenue||Source of Revenue|
|DoorDash||1200||110,000||10-25%||20 Million||$2.886 Billion||Commissions, delivery and service fees|
|UberEats||500+ in 24 countries||600,000||30%||21 Million||$2.51 Billion||Commission on orders|
|GrubHub||2400 (US cities)||125,000||15-30%||22.6 Million||$1.31 Billion||Commission Fees|
|Zomato||556||1.4 Million||22-25%||11.2 Million||$394M||70% from Advertisement|
|Instacart||5500 cities (in US and Canada)||300 Retailers||5%||5.5 Million||
|Delivery fees and placement fees|
|Deliveroo||800||115,000||35%||10 Million||$476 Million||Delivery, sign-up, and service fees, and premium subscriptions|
|Postmates||3500||500,000||30%||10 Million||$1 Billion||Commission and delivery fee|
|Seamless||450+||12,000||15-30%||N/A||$85 Million||Commission on orders|
|ChowNow||18 US cities||8000||Monthly Subscription Plan||12 Million||$66.7 Million||Monthly Subscription Plan|
How Many Types of Food Delivery Apps are There & What are They?
There are three main models of food delivery apps that are actively in action around us.
- Order Only Model
It is a connection between the customer and restaurant, allowing the user or customer to place an order at their favorite restaurant. In this model, restaurants are compelled to benefit from the platform, as it helps them reach a wider audience without investing in promotions and advertising.
- Order & Delivery Model
It is a great food ordering and delivery app model for startup restaurants that don’t have to put effort into gathering resources and bandwidth to ensure an efficient delivery system. Moreover, many restaurants adapt this system to eliminate the need to maintain personnel, vehicles, or managing delivery resources.
- Completely-Integrated Model
It is the latest type of food delivery app model, where the restaurant owner will undertake all the actions. However, this app model has a limited menu but offers customers the convenience of preparing and delivering food to their doorstep.
How to develop an on-demand Food Ordering & Delivery App?
To ensure the best food delivery app development, you need to follow a structured approach. Here is how to start, organize and result from the end project.
1. Make a Food Delivery Business App Development Plan: You need to definite your goals to structure your business plan accordingly and stay organized throughout the project.
2. Find the Best Food Ordering & Delivery App Development Company: If you invest such a huge amount, it should be definitely worthwhile. Therefore, it is necessary to find experienced development experts or create your in-house development team.
3. Design Your App Interface: The application interface should be most accessible and appealing as well. The more you pay attention to UI/UX design, the more you attract users to your application.
4. Create an MVP of your desired App: Creating an MVP of your project plan helps you understand whether the application meets your requirements and gives feedback accordingly.
5. Test the Final Food Ordering App Developed: Before making your app live in public, you need to make sure it is tested properly to fix bugs.
Best Food Delivery App Features
It is not enough to just wonder how to own a food delivery app and get it. You need to cover different aspects of the food delivery app development process. Generally, this development project is based on four other parts. However, these four major components of the app are further divided into features and functionalities based on their nature.
- User/Customer Application
The central part of the application is the user part, where the customers can browse menus and place their orders via iOS or Android apps.
- Restaurant Management Application
This panel allows the restaurant management to take orders, keep track of orders, update menu & prices, and reach a massive number of customers.
- Courier Application
For your own Food ordering and delivery application, you need to arrange proper courier services as well. They need to be provided with a separate panel to view information about delivery order status and shipping address.
- Admin Panel
Being the owner of your food delivery application, you will have access to the fundamental components of the application. You can add or remove restaurants, alter payment options, and much more.
The most significant component of the food delivery app development project is the user application. This application should be a highly user-friendly UI/UX design to let users easily place orders and perform other activities. The more attractive and easy your user application is, the more it would attract users to download the application. Here are the functions and features this application part will have based on the needs of users.
- Registration and Login Option
- Users can search for a Specific Restaurant.
- Users can track the location from where they want to order food and how much time it will take to get delivered.
- Placing the order, ordering more than one item, adding comments for their order, and all other related activities on order placed.
- Users are facilitated with maximum payment facilities, primarily: online banking or cash on delivery.
- Users will receive notifications about their orders, new deals, new restaurants onboard, etc.
- Users are given a free hand to provide ratings and reviews to app services as well as to restaurants.
Restaurant Management Application
Definitely, restaurant managers will have access to different options like incoming orders, take orders and notify couriers. On-demand food delivery app developers will integrate the following features in the restaurant application part.
- Menu management is the central focus of restaurant management; they need to edit the menu and keep it updated to avoid customer inconvenience.
- The next part is the order management system, timely updating courier service to deliver food hot and fresh at customers doorstep.
The courier application should be an easy and fast update so that no time is wasted while delivering food to customers. All the resources should be adequately integrated while riding or driving, and couriers cannot focus much on using the mobile.
- Courier service providers should register themselves and then login into the application when they are getting into their working hours.
- The best thing that makes a customer happy and satisfied, their food getting delivered as soon as possible. Therefore, couriers should get convenient maps with the fastest routes. You can integrate Google Maps Platform for the Android version and Location Framework for the iOS version.
- Couriers need to have access to data like restaurant address, delivery address, delivery time, and other related data.
Admin Panel of On-Demand Food Delivery App Project
Being the owner of the application, you should have complete access to the application. However, some essential features of the admin panel are:
- Login credentials need to be entirely confidential to keep your data safe and secure.
- Manage restaurants and their order report.
- Admin panel lets you track important KPIs such as order quantities, delivery time, total revenue, and more.
- Payment is the most sensitive component of the application that should be handled with great care. Moreover, you can charge restaurants and users fees also through this option.
Food Delivery App Requirements of Tech Stack
Depending upon your food ordering mobile app development model, you need to discover the scope of the technologies necessary to accomplish the project. However, evaluating the tech stack of the top best food delivery apps active around, we have concluded the significant scope of technologies.
- Restaurant Listing Process
- Grubhub API
- FourSquare API
- Payment Gateway
- Square API
- Location Navigation
- Amazon SNS
- Urban Airship
- Firebase Cloud Messaging
- Google Place API
- Google Maps
- Core Location Framework
- Registration Facility
- Facebook SDK
- Gmail SDK
- App Data Storage
- Google Cloud Storage
- Digital Ocean
- Application Analytics
- Google Analytics
- Amazon SNS
- Urban Airship
- Firebase Cloud Messaging
- Front-End Development
- iOS – Swift
- Android – Java, Cross-Platform-React Native
- Web- Angular, ReactJS
- Back-end Development
- WebSockets for Chats
How much does it cost to build a Food Delivery App like UberEats, Zomato, or GrubHub?
The total cost of developing a food delivery app like Zomato or other top ones entirely depends upon the features you are looking for in your on-demand food delivery app development. You will need several resources to launch your app idea and need to invest as well. For instance, the food delivery app development cost can be divided into the following components.
- UI/UX design of app: Cost $1,500 to $3,000 / 50-60 hours
- Front end and Back End Development: Costs $8,000 to $15,000/400 hours
- MVP Testing: Costs $2000 to $4500 / 75-80 hours
- Bug-Fixing: Costs $1000 to $3000 / 40 hours
- Technical Documentation: Costs $1000 to $1500 / 40 hours
Therefore, on a rough estimation, if you want an application with essential features and simple design will be ready in the range of $10,000 to $18,000. Whereas, if you are looking for a food delivery mobile application with high-end features, you need to increase your budget somewhere around $30,000 to $40,000.
All Set to Develop a Successful On-Demand Food Delivery App?
Once after studying all the aspects in detail, you are clear with what you want to do. But, the only thing that would trouble you is how to find the best food delivery app development company near me? Well, the solution to your problem is to get consultancy from the expert developers around you. Discuss every single query of your food delivery app development project and get the most suitable solution from experts. Don’t waste time before it’s too late to beat the competition; contact the team of professionals at Clustox today and turn your dream into reality.