Before I tell you the core concept of Progressive Web Application, I want to you have a look at its definition given by Google which follows as:
“Progressive Web Applications are experiences that combine the best of the Web and native applications. They do not require installation. The user builds gradually a relationship with the application over time, it becomes increasingly more and more powerful. Load faster and send relevant notifications. Provide icons on the Home screen and immerse you in Full Screen mode. - Google .”
This definition by Google sounds good however it doesn’t say much and miss out some important aspects of Progressive Web Apps.
What does the definition Pin point?
- No installation required.
- Icons on Home Screen (Home Screen)
- Full screen (without browser UI)
But this is not all to define the nature of Progressive Web Apps. There are a number of key attributes that have been missed. The list contains:
Key features of PWA – Progressive Web Application:
A progressive web application is:
- Progressive (obvious!) - It works for all users, regardless of browser or operating system used, because it is built to gradually improve from the beginning.
- Responsive - fits any screen resolution and format: desktop, mobile, tablet, TV or whatever.
- Independent connection - is enhanced with service workers to work offline or on slow networks with intermittent connections.
- Works as a native app - the user will use it as an app , with support for navigation and interaction with gestures.
- Easy update - it will always be updated through automatic update process service worker.
- Secure - works on HTTPS to prevent someone from intercepting data and to ensure that the content has not been tampered with by others.
- Discoverable - it is identifiable as an "application" thanks to the manifesto of the W3C and registration of functions of service worker, allowing web searchers to find them.
- Interactive - it makes it easy to interact with it even when closed with features such as push notifications.
- Installable - allows users to create shortcuts on the screen of their phone for easy access.
- Linkable - can be shared easily using web address (URL) and does not require complex installation processes.
- There are already cases of companies that have started to implement progressive web,as AirBerlin or Flipkart with well-documented results in improved user experience, retention, and conversion.
With all these points, we can conclude that the progressive web application is an approach to developing apps for phones that combine the best of the web and the best of native apps. These new web apps are useful for users since the first visit in a web browser, without installing anything else.
As the user creates a relationship with the app gradually, it becomes more powerful and useful: load quickly even on slow networks or when the device is offline, you can send notifications, has an icon on the screen of mobile and it works full screen.
This is the basic concept. For more details on the progressive web apps
, stay tuned in and we will come to you with more details in the coming posts.
Progressive Web Application
Key features of Progressive Web App